Sunday 27 February 2011

Finding Your Purpose – Your Skills

Let’s talk about how naturally skilled and capable you are.  Ouch, I hope you didn’t bang your head while diving under the table.  Why do women always shy away from blowing smoke up their own proverbial?  Instead preferring to brush off compliments by acknowledging external factors rather than sticking our hands up in the air and saying ‘Yes, it’s because I’m great’. 
O.K.  I’m not saying that we should start turning all narcissistic and egotistical but what’s wrong with recognising that you are skilful and that you are capable?  Do you know your skills and capabilities?  Have you ever sat down and written down everything that you are, or have ever been good at?  Even long forgotten skills can be resurrected with a little practice. 
When finding your purpose in life and designing your future what you’re fab at is what you’ll enjoy doing and make the most success out of.  If you’re at a crossroads and unsure of the best way forward with your life and career knowing your skills and capabilities will ensure that you start making the right journey for you.  If you can’t stand maths and left school not knowing your times tables then trying to earn a buck as a book keeper really isn’t going to pan out but if you loved drama and performing maybe you could look at some kind of public speaking work. 
While I was filming with Cavendish last month we were chatting over a sandwich and I was reminded of the first (and last) book I ever wrote, I was nine years old and wrote a children’s story then sent it off to be published.  It was my aim to be Britain’s youngest ever published author, of course my scribbles on notepaper weren’t published but they did send me a thanks but no thanks letter.  At nine years old I recognised a skill I possessed and wanted to make it pay.  Shame I went into hibernation for the next 20 years and am only now putting pen to paper (or rather nail to keyboard) again.
I want you to go away now and list everything you are good at, everything you have ever been good at, everything you have ever wanted to be good at.  Don’t be put off if you suffer from  a spluttering start, it’s not a task we’re all used to, persevere and before long you’ll be on a role and surprising yourself at exactly how marvellous you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment